1.14.2011

This is not helpful!!!!

ARGH!!! ARGH, ARGH, ARGH!!!

Courtesy of Huffington [expletive deleted] Post, this headline:

Mary Fallin Suffers Constitution Oath Fail At Swearing-In Ceremony

Which you get if you click on a link with this title:
New Gov Suffers Constitution Fail
Wanna know what that "fail" was?
Mary Fallin was sworn in Monday as Oklahoma's first female governor, but in reciting the oath of office she really didn't promise to "support, obey and defend the Constitution."

At an outdoors ceremony in bone-chilling and teeth-chattering cold, Fallin told Oklahoma Chief Justice Steven W. Taylor that she would "support, obey and offend" the U.S. and state constitutions.

In freezing cold, she mispronounced a word. That's it.

Neener, neener, neener!!

I know that Gov. Fallin was endorsed by Sarah Palin and had the support of the Tea Party, so I should hate her. (I should note that, it being Oklahoma where she was elected and her being the Republican nominee, she would probably have won with the endorsement of Benedict Arnold's reanimated corpse and the support of the Village People.) Right? So it's totally OK to call a perfectly innocuous slip of the tongue a "fail" that's worth mentioning and mocking, right?

Crapspackle! If we liberal types expect civility and respect from the conservatives, then there is no excuse for this kind of juvenile, idiotic nonsense from one of the most (lamentably) prominent liberal websites. I am embarrassed for HuffPo (even if they're not for themselves) and feel like I should call Gov. Fallin and apologize on behalf of liberals everywhere.

Cut. This. Crap. Out.

2 comments:

  1. Oy gevalt.
    Though I'm pretty confident Gov. Fallin will stick to her word and offend the constitution, I agree with you being pissy about whether she was 'really' sworn-in is just silly.

    Although -- I think the folklore around verbal oaths is, anthropologically speaking, really fascinating. When I married my beloved, I had to say my oath word perfect and in one breath; when I stumbled, the judge made me start from the beginning. Taking an oath and having it be word-perfect points to the magical-thinking which hides behind much of the law.

    ReplyDelete