6.23.2009

Piggy-backing on one of the Gents

Will over at League of Ordinary Gentlemen says what I think many people are feeling:
A few days ago, Sonny Bunch rightfully observed that we have remarkably little context with which to process the information coming out of Iran. And as fascinating as it is to watch demonstrations unfold in real-time or to follow every protester’s tweet, I don’t feel appreciably more informed about the situation despite all of the data at my disposal. The result of this information overload hasn’t been a clear picture of what’s going on inside the regime; instead, we’ve replaced traditional filters (media commentary, expert analysis) with ideological blinders, picking out stirring images or quotes that conform to our preconceived notions of how things ought to be. Many commentators seem to feel empowered by the flood of information emanating from Iran; I just feel confused and overwhelmed.
I second that. While it's remarkably clear that something incredibly important has happened, the thing that has been made most clear to me as the drama has unfolded is my own ignorance. (That's why I have had just about nothing to say on the ol' blog about it.) While it certainly seems clear that there was electoral fraud, I have to rely on analysis and commentary from others because I have just about no basis for processing what I read and see on my own. When I read contrary opinions from purported experts, I feel intellectually deracinated and have no way of judging the validity of what they are saying.

All I can really tell is that something incredibly important has happened, and that the Iranian people are at a tipping point of some sort. Beyond that, I can say little more and do even less.

1 comment: