1.22.2009

Morning radio news musings

Driving in to work today, I heard the happy news:

Caroline Kennedy announced early Thursday that she was withdrawing from consideration for the vacant Senate seat in New York, startling the state’s political world after weeks in which she was considered a top contender for the post.
I don't really know what led to this decision, nor do I particularly care. From what I have gathered (largely inferred from commenter Johnv2's oblique references), she was uninspiring when she tried to make her case to the American people. NPR called this the most botched political debut in recent memory (to which I would like to reply -- "Giuliani '08"). Regardless, I'm glad she has withdrawn.

Update: This doesn't really deserve its own post, because it's way too inane, but Obama was given the oath of office again yesterday after the minor stumbling over the words the day before.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. re-administered the oath to Mr. Obama on Wednesday evening, one day after the two men stumbled over each other’s words during the inauguration ceremony at the Capitol.
Why did they bother? Probably because there are morons out there that would say things like this:

On Fox News, Chris Wallace just speculated that President Obama might still legally be regular ol' Barack Obama, because his botched oath doesn't count.
I would like to casually point out that the Constitution stipulates that the president assumes the office at noon on the 20th of January. This apparently does not matter to such paragons or journalistic excellence as Chris Matthews, or other knaves and fools.

6 comments:

  1. Um...yes. "Moonstruck." Mayhap you meant to offer this comment on another thread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct. I am just catching up on my Bleakonomy reading. "Moon in the sky like a big pizza pie, that's amorie..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, delighted to have you reading, then!

    Yes, I realize that "Moonstruck" isn't the best movie I have ever seen, but it's the one I enjoy most reliably every time I watch it. (Which is any time I see that it's on TV.) The one exception is the scene wherein Cher lounges around in her slip, listening to 80s jazz and sipping some wine. (I get it. She's discovering that she's beautiful. Barf.) But I'm willing to forgive its missteps for Olympia Dukakis's wonderful performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If America had a House of Lords for middling old-money types whose primary qualification for office is shared genes with elderly or dead politicians, Ms. Kennedy would be a shoo-in.

    Regarding Mr. Giuliani, at least he had printed yard signs. We never even saw Ms. Kennedy's campaign bumper stickers (slogan "Caroline -- because she's a Kennedy!") appear throughout the Empire State.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if we could make her a duchess or something, then it would more closely suit her qualifications.

    I rather enjoy coming up with potential Kennedy slogans. "Caroline for Senate -- Who are you to Argue?"

    ReplyDelete