12.14.2009

Because I am a good sport

As an amuse-bouche between posts, I'm going to pause and salute two people about whom I typically have almost nothing nice to say. I think they are both, in general, empty-headed loudmouths who represent everything wrong with the contemporary GOP, and who are both personally responsible for worsening the quality of our civic discourse.

However, despite my overall lack of respect for both Michael Steele and Sarah Palin, I'm going to give them credit for each doing something that I have to admit I think is kind of awesome.

First, Michael Steele. I think he's something of an idiot, frankly. But, for what it's worth, I think he's probably not a bad guy. And I found myself admiring his willingness to act like a complete buffoon while clowning around during a photo-shoot with the RNC interns recently. Admittedly, maybe not the most dignified manner for the head of the GOP to behave, but I still think it was kind of a nice way of relating to the kids. Sample picture:


As for Palin, if you read this blog with any regularity (bless you), my opinion of her is already well-known to you. Suffice it to say, not a fan. However, her appearance on the Tonight Show last Friday night was truly amusing. Conan O'Brien had William Shatner on to read excerpts from "Going Rogue," which is funny on its own. And then Palin showed up to read excerpts from Shatner's autobiography, which is hilarious. I can't figure out how to embed the video, but you can see it here.

So, credit where it's due. For showing a little bit of humor and humanity, I tip my head ever so gently in the direction of two people about whom I otherwise have little good to say.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no admirer of Palin, but from what I've heard about Shatner, I'd rather spend time with her than with him.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete