2.17.2009

An open letter to parents everywhere

Hi. I'm Dan. You may or may not know me in real life, though if you're reading this blog it's probably a safe bet that we're personally acquainted. (Unfortunately, the people I would most like to read this are people who aren't friends or family. Don't take this personally, F&F! Stay cool!) If you read this blog, you're probably aware that I'm a pediatrician. I may not be your pediatrician, but as a pediatrician, I'm going to go out on a limb and speak for pediatricians in general.

It serves absolutely zero purpose for you to be a mean, demanding jerk to members of my office staff, the phone triage nurse, or anyone else involved in the care of your child. Even if your tune suddenly changes when I enter the exam room or take your call, and you are respectful to me, I will already know if you were senselessly rude to the people who are just doing their jobs taking your initial call or checking you in. I may know full well that you are just a concerned parent, and will try to remind myself that you're probably really nice when you're not stressed and tired with a sick kid. But it does nothing for our relationship when I have to stifle feelings of anger on behalf of my coworkers before we've even exchanged a word.

Thank you. That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Piss of you jerk know it all fancy pants doctor.

    There, I was disrespectful to you so I hope it kind of evens things up. Unfortunately, I don't know any doctors except the ones that are played on TV, so you can be assured I was not mean to any of your staff (which is a kind of strange word to use when referring to your personnel). Have you ever used a rod on your staff?
    I have also never met you in real life, but we are well acquainted in dreamland. You adore me there even though it goes against your nature.

    Charo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Charo. I adore you for so very many reasons, in all your glorious aspects.

    Does TNR Talkback count as dreamland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TNR? The National Review? I certainly don't read that.
    Charo

    ReplyDelete