2.22.2009

Purchasing Power, or, Food Politics 101

Two things came up this week that made me think about how we exercise purchasing power by treating every dollar spent as a vote:

1. for the survival of local businesses: one interesting idea

2. for an entire way of life, one that may be killing us. (We saw King Corn today, and then, as if to prove that there is something quite large at stake here:) 





The connection between food and law has fascinated me for some time: let's get together and call ourselves an institute I say, at which we would read, among other things:

My Year of Meats, Ruth Ozeki
The Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan or, Vote with Your Fork, or:




Gourmet magazine
Frankie Moore Lappe

Oh, oh, and film, too.

I could go on: it's a very very nerdy dream, but everyone has to have one. What would you put on the syllabus? 

1 comment:

  1. food first by moore lappe changed my life as a freshman in college (in 1984). i'm reading omnivore's dillemma right now, and will blog about it soon. would *love* to be a fellow in the institute, lol!

    ReplyDelete