5.29.2009

Credit where it's due

Somehow I doubt that Bleakonomy counts many GOP higher-ups among its readers. (A boy can dream, though, can't he?) Still, I'd like to think they're taking my recent advice about wrestling the microphone away from the likes of Tom Tancredo and associated crazies when it comes to the Sotomayor nomination.

I tend to think of Michael Steele as rather hapless. (Perhaps you've noticed?) But I've got to give him credit for sounding sensible (via HuffPo):
RNC chair Michael Steele, guest-hosting on Bill Bennett’s radio show early this morning, repeatedly distanced himself from Republicans and conservatives who have been harshly attacking Sonia Sotomayor, saying the assault risked damaging the party.

[snip]

“I’m excited that a Hispanic woman is in this position,” Steele said. He added that instead of “slammin’ and rammin’” on Sotomayor, Republicans should “acknowledge” the “historic aspect” of the pick and make a “cogent, articulate argument” against her for purely substantive reasons.

Steele warned that because of the attacks, “we get painted as a party that’s against the first Hispanic woman” picked for the Supreme Court.

Good for you, Michael Steele. Hopefully they won't make you eat your words this time.

On a related note, I did not see this coming (via The Plank):
A top Senate Republican is taking aim at recent statements from conservative commentators Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich suggesting Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor is a "racist."

"I think it's terrible," Sen. John Cornyn, the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, told NPR's "All Things Considered" Thursday. "This is not the kind of tone any of us want to set when it comes to performing our constitutional responsibilities of advise and consent.”

Well swat my hind with a melon rind! Good for you, John Cornyn! I can't say I'm anything like a fan of yours, but I'll keep this in mind the next time you say something ridiculously partisan, as a reminder that you're capable of being sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment