5.29.2009

I will either boycott, or be forced to attend

I do not watch much television, despite Elizabeth's exhortations to enjoy the offerings of our current televisual golden age. What I do watch could charitably be described as Low Entertainment, often of the animated variety and featuring talking household pets. (I do not admit this with pride.) I have thus far resisted the siren call of any of the variously located Real Housewives, however, and am politely averting my eyes from the whole John & Kate brouhaha. [Editorial comment -- bleah.]

Some of television's better offerings have been the creations of Joss Whedon. I've been meaning to update my review of his newest show Dollhouse, since it started slow and uncompelling and got much, much better by the end, at which point I was addicted. His most famous show was, of course, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (For my money, though, I preferred the tragically-cancelled Firefly.)

While Buffy was hardly I, Claudius, it was much smarter and better than you'd expect a series about a vampire-slaying adolescent to be. (It was based on an earlier, much lousier film of the same name.) The writing and directing were very good, thanks largely to Mr. Whedon himself. It was thus with extreme skepticism that I read this:

The Worst Movie Idea of the Year?
Yes, I know that's an awfully high
bar, especially of late. But the news that producer Fran Rubel Kuzui is
considering a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" movie that would probably not involve
Joss Whedon in any capacity, nor any of the cast of the television show, nor
even the subsidiary characters from the show (Willow, Xander, Angel, etc.) may
put it into contention for the honor.

This sounds awful. Why on earth they would think that a movie would succeed with none of the elements that made the show a success is beyond me. And, while I know why they are considering this (as my father would say, it's green and rectangular and folds in the middle), I would respectfully submit that this is a terrible, terrible idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment