9.18.2009

Heavy Snowe day

See what I did there? Oh, never mind.

Anyhoodle, our girl Olympia has been all over the place lately. This probably has a lot to do with the Democrats falling all over themselves to get her to climb aboard the Good Ship Health Reform. I have expressed some disappointment with Sen. Snowe of late, but I just can't seem to quit her.

First there was this:
"I've always been a Republican for the traditional principles that have been associated with the Republican party since I became a Republican, when I registered to vote. And that is limited government, individual opportunities, fiscal responsibility, and a strong national defense. So I think those principles have always been a part of the Republican party heritage. And I believe that I reflect those views and I haven't changed as a Republican. I think more that my party has changed."
Hmmm. Perhaps it has, Olympia. Perhaps it has.

There is also this:
"Obviously, I'm a Republican, but I'd like to have more Republicans," she told CNBC's John Harwood.

But asked whether having more Republicans is a requirement, she said, pointedly, "no...I'm going to support the right policy."

And which policy might that be?
It's not ironclad, but it's the first strong sign that Sen. Max Baucus' health care reform bill might win the support of Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME) when all's said and done.

She, along with Sens. Ben Nelson (D-NE), Joe Lieberman (I-CT), and Claire McCaskill (D-MO) have released a joint statement 'commending' Baucus' efforts and saying, basically, if consensus is to be found, it will be here.

So, in a nutshell, Sen. Snowe is all over the place. (I was going to make a pun about "drifting," but decided against it in favor of referring to it obliquely.)

I hope she votes in favor of the reform bill, but I also have no desire to see her leave the GOP. I honestly crave two sane parties, and seeing the very last of the northeastern "moderates" hounded out will do nothing to restore any sort of balance to our two-party system. But it's a hard party she's trying to stick with, and I wonder what the upshot will be if she votes for the Baucus bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment